Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Charlotte Perkines Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper (1899)

   "A colonial mansion, a hereditary estate, I would say a haunted house, and reach the height of romantic felicity--but that would be asking to much of fate!
   Still I will proudly declare that there is something queer about it".


   This gives an image that the husband is romantic because he provides her with a stylish estate. However, this estate may be seen as a haunted house. She questions how they could afford the mansion and why it has been empty for so long. However, there is something queer about it. This brings to our attention the discussion of illness. She is a bit nervous about her marriage and is becoming depressed about it. Depression is commonly found, but her depression has caused her to lose her mind. Her husband neglected her and all she could think about was "The Yellow Wallpaper".
    I feel like I can somewhat relate to this story. Being a colligate athlete and student, I rarely find time for myself or time to hang out with my friends. At times I feel like my life only resolves around school and soccer. So depression kicks in because lack of free time, or any type of feeling wanted. Ultimately everyone wants to feel wanted in the world and during all this time cramming, it is difficult to please everyone. So at times I feel like all I have is my books. At times I try to plug myself into stories and situations to see how I fit. In this specific case, I do feel times of depression because lack of free time, but in the end, I know everything will work out for the best.

"That spoils my ghostliness, I am afraid, but I don't care--there is something strange about the house--I can feel it".

"And it is like a woman stooping down and creeping about behind that pattern. I don't like it a bit. I wonder--I begin to think--I wish John would take me away from here!"

"Life is much more exciting now than it used to be. You see I have something more to expect, to look forward to, to watch. I really do eat better, and am more quiet than I was."

"But there is something else about the paper--the smell! I noticed it the moment we came into the room, but with so much air and sun it was not bad. Now we have had a week of fog and rain, and whether the windows  are open or not, the smell is here."

"Now why should that man have fainted? But he did, and right across my path by the wall, so that I had to creep over him every time!"

1 comment:

  1. An interesting connection, though in some ways, I think you are talking about the inverse of what the narrator in the Yellow Wallpaper experienced. You have too much occupation, too much meaningful work; she has too little!

    ReplyDelete