Thursday, September 5, 2013

Stitches A Memoir By David Small

Quotes through Page 156:

"The mere moving of her fork a half-inch to the right spelled dread at the dinner table" (16).

"And it was dad the radiologist who gave me the many x-rays that were supposed to cure my sinus problems" (21).

"I thought it must be her hair that gave Alice the magic ability to travel to a land of talking animals, singing flowers, and dancing teapots, I wanted to go there immediately" (56). 

"Your mother has asked me to speak to you about something we both feel is important" (150).

Quotes 157-325

"That night, back in my hospital room, I was surprised by a visit from my mother" (170).

"Even among my old friends I felt invisible, a shadow flickering around the edges of every event" (213).

"At home, late at night, I began to have the sensation that I was shrinking down... and living inside my own mouth" (216). 

"After that awkward moment, while my own emotions ricocheted between extremes of betrayal and foolishness, anger and confusion, what stayed with me for the longest time was the look mother gave me, itself full of complex feelings, few of which, I'd guess, had much to do with me" (273).

"I gave you cancer" (287).

"Although my parents talked seriously about get a divorce, they never did" (301).

"She couldn't talk and neither could I. I had been screaming for so many hours that I, too, was voiceless" (306).

Comments......


1 comment:

  1. Somehow I skipped over that quote about "living inside my own mouth." Glad you included it --especially because it makes me consider the image on page 234 in a new way.

    ReplyDelete